Friday, March 25, 2011

The Most Fun I had Last Week


Last week was my birthday: March 17 to be exact. It was a milestone, but I'm surprisingly ok with it. This post, though, really isn't about that. It is about the craziness that is Austin the week of Spring Break / SXSW/ Austin Rodeo AND St. Patrick's Day, and the most fun I had last week.

Now I've always been thrilled that my birthday is on St. Patrick's Day because it helps people to remember it, and everyone seems to be out and about celebrating me... or him, whatever. This year was no exception - I had an amazing time! It was, however, a tad overwhelming, which seems to be the problem when there are too many things to do, and you have no idea as to how to go about doing any of them. I technically didn't go to SXSW. I walked around downtown and heard lots of great music but didn't get the real experience. In all honestly, if you are doing SXSW for the first time, do it with someone who knows what they are doing. I had no idea what to do this year, but am already planning to be in the loop next year. I'm also crossing my fingers that ACL in October will be easier to decipher!



St. Patrick's Day was great - lots of green, lots of beer, lots of college kids out on Spring Break. The most fun I had last week, however, was, surprisingly, the Austin Rodeo. More specifically, the BBQ Cook-off at the rodeo. Yum! We went on Friday early so as to avoid some of the crowds. And I have to say, if you've never been, you are missing out, my friend!

For the price of admission, you get all the bbq you could ever want - pulled pork, brisket, chili, sausage, etc - and drinks - beers and margaritas all around. The margaritas were amazing! Needless to say, after a couple of those, everyone was in great spirits, enjoying the live music and walking around. Austin really does have great people, everyone is very friendly!

All the bbq people ask of you is a donation to charity: not a bad deal. You get to help the kiddos by eating and drinking to your heart's content. My only regret was missing the Dierks Bentley concert, which really has nothing to do with the cook-off, but I just thought of that right now.  I did get to watch him at the Mercedes Livestock Show though; can't really complain. Anyway, for future reference, I recommend the Austin Rodeo's BBQ Cook-off...unless you don't eat meat, then you might not have fun.

See you there next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment