Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Another Book List - The Classics Part 1



I got lost in the classics section of BookPeople this past weekend and thought about how there are so many good books that we forget about once we're out of school. It's also amazing how our understanding and appreciation of these books changes as we grow older, so we should really reread everything as adults.


With that thought in mind, I decided to do a list of the classic novels we must read (or reread). While I was trying to make the list though, I realized that there are way too many to list! How do you decide which are the best novels of all time?! 


So, I figured that I'd write a list of {some} classic novels that I love on this post, and follow that up with a post on classic novels that I haven't read but I really really want to read. Does that work for you?


Here it is! My tried and true classics list (so far):

 - "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
This is one of my favorite books. The first couple of pages are a tough read, but if you get through those the rest is magic!


- "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.
Love, love, love. 


 - "The Sun also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway.
Hemingway is great; always. I don't agree with bullfighting, but don't let that put you off this amazing book.

 - "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra. 
I think I have three or four copies of this novel; including an illustrated version my mom bought for her future grandchildren.  

 - "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller.
Dark, funny, sarcastic and so very good.

 - "The Waste Land" by T. S. Eliott.
This one is a poem not a novel but the imagery is amazing. Let it "show you fear in a handful of dust".

 - "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte; Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte; Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I group these together because I couldn't decide on just one.

 - "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman.
Yes, the movie is awesome. Read the book.

    I could also add to this list anything and everything by Shakespeare, plus all the ancients like Homer and Chaucer, and poets like Keats and Frost, but then the list would be never ending! 

    What are your favorite classic novels?

    Image from i can read

    No comments:

    Post a Comment