Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Adventures in Cooking - Asian Chicken Noodle Broth

I cheated on Meatless Monday yesterday. In fact, I completely forgot that it was Monday until today - when I realized that today is Tuesday.  I'm blaming the never-ending cold / sore throat that I haven't been able to completely shake off for my oversight! On a positive note, I was able to make an excellent dish with absolutely no problems!

The Asian Chicken Noodle Broth recipe from the Jamie Oliver book made me nervous at first. The description said something about multitasking, which gave me chills! Fortunately, the multitasking just meant that I had to warm up the broth and cook the chicken at the same time in different pans. I added the chicken to the Foreman grill and, instead of using a store-bought broth like the recipe recommended, I boiled some water and added Knorr bouillon (soup with Knorr reminds me of my mom's cooking). I didn't change anything else on the recipe except that, I didn't add the baby corn (I'm on a corn-ban after watching the Food, Inc. movie on Monsanto. At least until I go to Mexico and get tempted with some corn in a cup!)

Lessons Learned:

  1. Don't buy pre-made broth. Knorr is so much better!
  2. Toast the cashews and pumpkin seeds when the pan is barely warming up. Always keep your eye on them; they burn easily!
  3. When all of your ingredients are white and green, buy red chiles. They look prettier


The cooking score: 1 lose, 2 wins.

I'm getting better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment