Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I'm reading! - Bossypants

My plan for last weekend was to go to the Louisiana Swamp Thing & Crawfish Festival in Buda. I could already taste the cajun crawfish and was excited to walk around and listen to George Clinton in person. Unfortunately my body had other plans, and I ended up "under the weather" all weekend. I had enough energy to drag myself from my bed to a quick walk around the block with my dog and finally to my inflatable mattress for the rest of the day. My main distractions: the season finale of "Being Human" on the BBC and the new Adele album as well as the random stuff collected on my DVR. Luckily, when I picked up my new cookbook, I had also stumbled across the new Tina Fey book, "Bossypants". Her book saved me from watching every single "House" episode ever made.

I'm a huge "30 Rock" fan and love that Tina Fey is famous for her intelligence and wit as opposed to so many celebs that are famous for being a bit dumb and scandalous. "Bossypants" didn't disappoint. I laughed out loud at least once every page - or every two pages if the chapter was a little bit slow. I am actually pretty relieved that I read this at home without any witnesses because I was laughing alone like a crazy person very often!

The best thing about this book is the familiarity - it's easy to identify with many of the situations that she describes: lame high school parties ("The Greatest New Year's Eve Party of All Time"), the fear of curfew ("I was notorious for freaking out when it was time to go"), unrequited crushes (one of hers ended in a night hike with someone falling off a mountain), bad jobs (the YMCA), weight gain ("Nothing to be ashamed of. Like puberty or slowly turning into a Republican"), and weight loss ("I was cold all the time"). She writes about the things that we sometimes won't even admit to ourselves - like not enjoying things that are "supposedly fun" and (for all you mommies out there) the stress of breastfeeding your baby. It's amazing that she was willing to own up to these and many other stories without trying to play down her awkwardness or dorkiness. And while she is incredibly funny, her humor is not pretentious or annoying. She's funny in the way your close friends are funny - a bit sarcastic, witty, and very honest.

So, read this if you don't understand what the fuss is over the ex-SNL alum or if you want an in-depth view of the amazingness that is "30 Rock". But also read if, like me, you usually don't care what people think although, every once in awhile, a stupid comment brings you to tears. Because Tina Fey is great at encouraging us to not "f*cking care if [they] like it" (through an Amy Poehler story, of course) and inspiring us to see the funny side of everything that happens. Read it for the entertainment value and the name-checking alone if you must, but read it!

Let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!



No comments:

Post a Comment