Friday, August 21, 2015

Happy hour and a mercantile

My friends and I tend to go to the same places over and over for dinner and happy hour. We love these places. And, seriously, you can't beat Jack Allen's Kitchen for pretty much anything. We have spent many an afternoon happily munching on their amazing appetizer menu and enjoying an Austin margarita or three before deciding that we each need our own blondie for dessert.

Austin, however, has so many amazing restaurants that it really is a shame not to explore them all. Or at least try. In that spirit, I convinced everyone that we really need to expand our horizons and try someplace new - Jacoby's Restaurant and Mercantile.


Jacoby's is a farm-to-table restaurant located on the Colorado River. This means that their food comes from their family-owned farm and ranch, and the views are amazing!


I really wanted to sit outside. They have bunnies! Unfortunately, Texas is a bit hot in the summer.


I didn't get to sit here.


But the inside was pretty nice too.



Their menu consists of lots of hearty comfort food. 


Happy hour is from 5-6, and things are quite a bit cheaper then. It's what we did!

We started off with some drinks.


and onion rings.

 

And followed that up with a burger and fries. We're super healthy, I know!


Served on a tray with butcher paper since we were basically on a ranch.


Most of us decided the burger was the way to go. Only Marissa decided to be a rebel and order the steak fingers. I didn't get a picture since I was too busy eating. Apparently the taste was good except that they were served in a bowl. She doesn't like it when her food touches. 

I was happy though! I really am a burger and fries kinda girl. The fries were amazing, and the burger was definitely above average. Not the very best burger that I've ever had, but really really good. Everything was made even better by knowing the food was locally grown and raised. 

After eating our fill, we walked over to the Mercantile. A mercantile is basically just a general store. It's not a term we use too often, but it provided endless amusement as we tried to incorporate it into our vocabulary for the rest of the day.


They had quite a few little trinkets.


Sorry for the glare of the lights in the pictures. I'll start using a real camera (not my crappy phone camera) soon!

All in all, I was thrilled to have added a new place to our happy hour / dinner rotation. I'll be sure to go back when the weather is a little cooler so that I can sit here:


And hang out with the bunnies.

No comments:

Post a Comment