Saturday, August 8, 2015

The UK - Feeling very British in Norfolk

I've always wanted to go to England. "The Secret Garden" was one of my favorite books growing up, and I always imagined myself living in the English countryside in a cottage with a beautiful garden. This desire has never really gone away, and I would happily move there tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself.


I'm a big fan of many British things - tv shows (Dr. Who!), music, fashion, men with gorgeous accents (Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy!!!), the list goes on and on! So I was thrilled last year when I was finally able to make it to the UK for the very first time.

I spent my first two days over there in Norfolk which was about a two hour drive north of London. There I learned that everything really is as pretty as I'd imagined it, and that I have a very difficult time pronouncing the names of certain places (like Norwich and Sandringham, and Edinburgh). My friend A got a huge kick out of that, but I'll be reminding him of that next time he visits me here in Texas!

I don't have too many pictures of my first two days which I really do regret. The blame for that is completely going to my excitement and the jet lag.

Here's a quick rundown of what happened: we tried going to Sandringham, the Queen's house but it was closed so we wandered around the forest catching up and looking at the wooden sculptures. It was incredibly beautiful there, and I'm still kicking myself for not capturing any of it.

After that we went for a walk on a really pretty beach. It was low tide so there was really a lot more mud than water, but A rescued a little boy who was stuck in the mud and, well, I quite enjoyed that he did that. He also collected some shells for me which I kept.


We finished out the afternoon with a tour of Castle Acre. Fun fact - this castle is centuries older than our country. I knew this, but it's still a little hard to wrap my head around it.


The sunset was beautiful!


From there it was homemade lasagna and a visit to the local pub - The Ploughshare Beeston. A perfect start to my vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment